Should I get a part-time job?
A few ideas for your part time job search
1. Check out web sites to learn information about companies that hire
2. Ask your friends and fellow students where they have worked or are
3. Ask parents, teachers, counselors, ministers or other neighborhood
adults about area companies and ideas for available jobs. It is called
4. Look for signs on store windows or marquees.
5. Listen to announcements at school and read want ads in the newspaper.
6. Go to Summer Job Fairs sponsored through the school.
7. Apply for the job early in the day if possible. It makes a good impression.
8. In a few days after applying, follow up with the interviewer to thank
him/her and inquire of the status of your application. It shows interest.
9. Keep a list of all the companies you contact or search on line. Record
whether you contacted them, turned in an application, made follow up call,
and status of interview.
10. Follow up on any “leads” as soon as possible. You are
in competition for the job.
Job Search Sites
What to promote in the interview
1. Your experiences or work history that will help you meet their job
2. Your availability and punctuality
3. Your enthusiasm
4. Your appearance, which includes neatness, dress, cleanliness, and attitude.
Hide or remove the distracters that draw attention or would not be typically
accepted by their customers.
5. Good communication. Speak clearly and answer questions with a purpose
Local Job Sources
On Line Sources
Teens4Hire.org: Jobs for teens— Full time, part time, summer, seasonal and vocational jobs for teenagers
Teen Resources12:53 PM 12/13/2010 USA.gov/
Assorted business listings
Waterparks and Recreation
The Beach Waterpark | JOBS: application
Need a Resume?
Now that you have a job
Safety and Health Issues on the Job
How to perform and keep your job.
1. Be on time
2. Work to the best of your ability
3. Always look for ways to “show your worth” by taking on
4. Follow instructions and ask questions if you do not understand.
5. Don’t always wait for your superior to tell you what to do. Learn
what needs to be done and help out.
6. Show respect for the superior and fellow workers.
7. Be friendly, have a positive attitude and don’t “trash”
others or the job.
8. Don’t make or take phone calls or talk casually when you are
on the job or customers are around.
9. If you make a mistake, admit it, and take steps to correct it.
10. Be open to doing new tasks and learning new procedures in the job.